Things To Understand If You Are Working With Millennials
In today’s society, there are often times many negative stereotypes associated with being a millennial. We’re labeled as being lazy and entitled, when in reality, we’re simply trying to establish ourselves in the professional world, and having to work extra hard to get there.
Here are a few things to understand if you are working with millennials:
- We seek feedback, not constant praise: For many generations before us, “no feedback” meant “good feedback”. However, millennials are constantly looking for constructive criticism. We truly want to do the best we can do no matter how simple the task. We thrive off of both positive and negative feedback.
- We will work hard to prove you wrong: Contrary to the belief of millennials being “lazy”, we are actually extremely hard workers. Because of this preconceived notion of us, we have had to go above and beyond what is expected of us in order to prove others wrong.
- We work to live, not live to work: While work is extremely important to us, so is having a life outside of the office. We value our hobbies, experiences and the people we surround ourselves with. After all, what’s the point of working hard if you can’t enjoy its benefits?
- We crave flexibility: Millennials are turning the original 9-5, suit-wearing, cubicle job into a flexible, business-casual, work-anywhere environment. We love switching it up and working in various environments and being trusted to complete our work and meet deadlines. Sometimes, you just need a change of scenery to do your best work.
- We will not settle: We are not content until we are at a place in our lives that we are proud of. If that means taking unpaid internships and couch hopping until we land our dream job, then that’s what we’ll do.